[Mesa-dev] Possible bug in nir_algebraic?

Connor Abbott cwabbott0 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 12:10:14 UTC 2019

I haven't thought about whether it's algebraically correct, but
otherwise your pattern looks fine to me.

If you haven't noticed already, I added some commented out code to
nir_replace_instr() that will print out each pattern that's matched.
The first thing I'd do is move that up to the beginning of the
function, so that it prints potential matches instead of actual
matches. If your pattern shows up as a potential match, then it's a
problem with match_expression() and not the automaton, and at that
point you can start setting breakpoints and stepping through it.

If it's not a potential match because the automaton filtered it out,
then debugging is currently a little harder. You'll have to add some
debugging code to ${pass_name}_pre_block() that prints out the
assigned state for each ALU instruction. The state is an integer which
is conceptually an index into TreeAutomaton.states for the constructed
TreeAutomaton. So if an instruction has state n, then
automaton.states[n] should be a set of potential partial matches for
that instruction. Note that variables like a, b, c etc. are converted
into __wildcard while constants are all converted into __constant. So
for example, ssa_2 should have a set { __const, __wildcard } as it can
be matched as a variable or as a constant (we actually explicitly
construct this set in TreeAutomaton._build_table). ssa_83 should have
a set { __wildcard, (neg __wildcard) } since it can be matched either
as a variable or as something like (neg a). (yes, this is very similar
to the subset construction for getting a DFA from an NFA...). Unless
there's a bug, each of these "match sets" should contain the
appropriate subset of your pattern until ssa_97 which should have the
full pattern as one of the entries in the set. Let us know the details
if that's not the case.

I think that we could definitely do better when it comes to debugging
why the automaton didn't match something. We could emit the
automaton's state list in C, and then have a debugging option to print
the match set for each instruction so you'd know where something went
awry. I didn't do that earlier since I didn't have a need for it while
bringing up the automaton, but we could add it if it helps. That being
said, hopefully you won't need it this time :)

Best,

Connor