[Mesa-dev] libdrm versioning - switch to 19.0.0?

Eric Engestrom eric at engestrom.ch
Fri Oct 11 13:10:58 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 2019-10-10 16:14:47 -0400, Marek Olšák wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I expect to make a new libdrm release soon. Any objections to changing the
> versioning scheme?
>
> Current: 2.4.n
> n = starts from 0, incremented per release
>
> New proposals:
> year.n.0 (19.0.0)
> year.month.n (19.10.0)
> year.month.day (19.10.10)

Sounds good, but I really suggest the Mesa scheme of counting release
and not a purely date-based system (we'd had bursts of releases in the
past, sometimes more than one in the same day).

One suggestion might be to bump the minor version instead of the major?
To be more precise: 2.year.n, where year is 19 so 2.19.x > 2.4.x

Thoughts?