[Mesa-dev] libdrm versioning - switch to 19.0.0?

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Fri Oct 11 16:47:24 UTC 2019

Quoting Eric Engestrom (2019-10-11 06:10:58)
> On Thursday, 2019-10-10 16:14:47 -0400, Marek Olšák wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I expect to make a new libdrm release soon. Any objections to changing the
> > versioning scheme?
> >
> > Current: 2.4.n
> > n = starts from 0, incremented per release
> >
> > New proposals:
> > year.n.0 (19.0.0)
> > year.month.n (19.10.0)
> > year.month.day (19.10.10)
>
> Sounds good, but I really suggest the Mesa scheme of counting release
> and not a purely date-based system (we'd had bursts of releases in the
> past, sometimes more than one in the same day).
>
> One suggestion might be to bump the minor version instead of the major?
> To be more precise: 2.year.n, where year is 19 so 2.19.x > 2.4.x
>
> Thoughts?

I prefer this to <year>.<any>

To echo Dave's concern, if we ever decided to have a non-backwards compatible
API change (say Intel decided that since we don't use libdrm_intel anymore we
don't want to maintain it and want to drop it) we'd need to be able to bump the
major version to signal that to downstreams.

Mesa doesn't have this problem because were' implementing Khronos APIs: the
mesa version and the libs don't match anyway.

Dylan