[Mesa-dev] Switching to Gitlab Issues instead of Bugzilla?

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Sep 4 18:01:41 UTC 2019

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 6:52 PM Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-08-30 at 14:26 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Quoting Daniel Stone (2019-08-30 14:13:08)
> > > Hi,

> > > It's not clear to me what you need. Can you please give more details?
> >
> > At the moment, I always have open a couple of searches which are basically
> >
> > Product: DRI, Mesa, xorg
> > Component: Driver/intel, Drivers/DRI/i830, Drivers/DRI/i915, Drivers/DRI/i965, Drivers/Vulkan/intel, DRM/AMDgpu, DRM/Intel, IGT
> >
> > I would like a similar way of getting a quick glance at the issues under
> > discussion and any new issues across the products -- basically I want a
> > heads up in case I've broken something, however subtle. And sometimes
> > you just need to trawl through every bug in case you missed something.
>
> You can do a top-level search for arbitrary strings, and get a list of
> matching issues:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/search?group_id=&project_id=&repository_ref=&scope=issues&search=i965
>
> But that's perhaps not super useful. There's no way to globally search
> for issues with a particular label, probably because labels are scoped
> either to projects or groups and not site-wide. But you _do_ get
> project-wide labels, so we could promote mesa/mesa's i965 label to be
> usable from mesa/*. The xorg project has this already for some labels:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/groups/xorg/-/labels
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/groups/xorg/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=gsoc
>
> This probably implies that we'd want the kernel repo to be a mesa
> subproject. And then you'd just have top-level label searches for the
> xorg and mesa projects.

Looking at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm and
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm we have the following list of kernel
projects we'd need to move:
- overall drm (really probably want no bug reports on that, Dave&me
ignore them all anyway or at most redirect to subtrees)
- drm-misc
- drm-intel
- amgpu tree
- msm
- nouveau is somewhere else, probably wants to keep its separate
bugzilla component too
- anything else that's not maintained in one of the above perhaps
(it's marginal, but might happen)
- igt
- libdrm (currently under gitlab/mesa/drm)
- maintainer-tools (not going to have a real need for reassigning bugs
with any of the above, but why leave it out)

btw for git repo reasons at least drm-misc, drm and drm-intel need to
be in a group of their own, for acl reasons. Or at least we need a
group somwhere for these, so we can give them all access to drm-tip.
But that's only for once we move the git repos, but I kinda don't want
to move everything once more again.
-Daniel

> > > If you want cross-component search results in a single list, that's
> > > not really something we can do today, and I don't know if it would
> > > land any time soon. You can however subscribe to particular issue
> > > labels, and when you see something that catches your eye add a 'todo'
> > > for it, then the main UI shows all your outstanding todos, including
> > > where people have mentioned you etc.
> >
> > One thing we did for bugzilla was set the default QA component to a
> > mailing list, so we had a single place to subscribe to get all the spam.
> > I presume something similar would be available to subscribe to every
> > issue across a range of categories.
>
> You (individually) can subscribe to a label (per-project-or-group),
> yes. Subscribing a mailing list to a label is somewhat awkward since
> the email address for an account is where things like password reset
> requests get sent.
>
> - ajax

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation