[Mesa-dev] Switching to Gitlab Issues instead of Bugzilla?

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Fri Sep 6 14:10:03 UTC 2019

On 04/09/2019 21:01, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 6:52 PM Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2019-08-30 at 14:26 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
>>> Quoting Daniel Stone (2019-08-30 14:13:08)

>>> At the moment, I always have open a couple of searches which are basically
>>>
>>> Product: DRI, Mesa, xorg
>>> Component: Driver/intel, Drivers/DRI/i830, Drivers/DRI/i915, Drivers/DRI/i965, Drivers/Vulkan/intel, DRM/AMDgpu, DRM/Intel, IGT
>>>
>>> I would like a similar way of getting a quick glance at the issues under
>>> discussion and any new issues across the products -- basically I want a
>>> heads up in case I've broken something, however subtle. And sometimes
>>> you just need to trawl through every bug in case you missed something.
>>
>> You can do a top-level search for arbitrary strings, and get a list of
>> matching issues:
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/search?group_id=&project_id=&repository_ref=&scope=issues&search=i965
>>
>> But that's perhaps not super useful. There's no way to globally search
>> for issues with a particular label, probably because labels are scoped
>> either to projects or groups and not site-wide. But you _do_ get
>> project-wide labels, so we could promote mesa/mesa's i965 label to be
>> usable from mesa/*. The xorg project has this already for some labels:

I found a way to do global searches:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dashboard/issues/?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=1.%20Security

However, it looks like there isn't a way to browse bugs from multiple
projects from one. I guess you would have to check two links (mesa
group, and drm group) to get what you are looking for unless there would
be common tags/author/assignee/milestone. You can also subscribe to the
RSS feeds for issues, which could allow a local rss client to display
all the bugs you might be interested in. Would any of that be acceptable?

>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/groups/xorg/-/labels
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/groups/xorg/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=gsoc
>>
>> This probably implies that we'd want the kernel repo to be a mesa
>> subproject. And then you'd just have top-level label searches for the
>> xorg and mesa projects.
>
> Looking at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm and
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm we have the following list of kernel
> projects we'd need to move:
> - overall drm (really probably want no bug reports on that, Dave&me
> ignore them all anyway or at most redirect to subtrees)
> - drm-misc
> - drm-intel
> - amgpu tree
> - msm
> - nouveau is somewhere else, probably wants to keep its separate
> bugzilla component too
> - anything else that's not maintained in one of the above perhaps
> (it's marginal, but might happen)
> - igt
> - libdrm (currently under gitlab/mesa/drm)
> - maintainer-tools (not going to have a real need for reassigning bugs
> with any of the above, but why leave it out)
>
> btw for git repo reasons at least drm-misc, drm and drm-intel need to
> be in a group of their own, for acl reasons. Or at least we need a
> group somwhere for these, so we can give them all access to drm-tip.
> But that's only for once we move the git repos, but I kinda don't want
> to move everything once more again.

I don't think putting everything under mesa would make sense at all for
access control and general organisation reasons.

Let's please keep the mesa and drm groups separate. Cross-referencing of
issues is possible using the mesa/mesa#12345 syntax, or simply using the
full link: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/vulkan-wsi-layer/issues/4

I am in favor of always using the full link, since it would allow people
with a local git repo to easily access the related bug. And speaking
about this, the kernel commit messages should stop using "Bugzilla:
https://" and move to "Closes: https://...".

As for moving the i915 bugs already, this is doable after a small change
to the gztogl that would convert custom fields to tags. I can try to get
this done next week.

Thoughts anyone?

Martin