[Mesa-dev] Release workflow with gitlab issues

Juan A. Suarez Romero jasuarez at igalia.com
Thu Sep 19 11:26:53 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-09-18 at 12:08 -0700, Mark Janes wrote:
> Adding the release managers to the CC to make sure they see the thread...
>
> Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> writes:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Since we're migrating to gitlab issues, it seems like a good time to review how
> > we track stable releases, particularly release blockers.
> >
> > I'd like to use a gitlab milestone as a replacement for the tracker issues from
> > gitlab. The process would work much the same way as it does now, but with a
> > milestone.
>
> Right now, anyone can create milestones.  Is there a way to limit the
> capability to release managers?  Would that be desirable?
>
> I see the same issue with labels...  Anyone could delete a label, and
> I'm not sure how we would recover that information.
>
> > We'll also need to replace the Bugzilla: tag with a tag that gitlab recognizes
> > for closing issues. Since we already use "Fixes:" for something else, I'd like
> > to propose "Closes:"
> >
> > so we'd replace:
> >     Buzilla: https://...
> > with:
> >     Closes: !0
>
> A more exact replacement would be:
>       Gitlab: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/issues/{issue}

I also prefer this format. This would allow to reference other issues not in the
GitLab.

> Is there an advantage to the !{issue} format?  Perhaps gitlab parses it
> and closes the issue?

Yes, it does when you write something like "closes #issue". But I think I prefer
to close the issue manually; several times I saw MR that should fix an issue but
they actually didn't either because it requires other MR, or because there was
another change in master that requires another change, etc.

> > If we like this, I'll follow up with a script that can fetch issues information
> > from gitlab and produce release information.
> >
> > Does this sound reasonable to everyone?

Sounds nice for me.

	J.A.