[Mesa-dev] Release workflow with gitlab issues

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Thu Sep 19 16:13:37 UTC 2019

Quoting Juan A. Suarez Romero (2019-09-19 04:26:53)
> On Wed, 2019-09-18 at 12:08 -0700, Mark Janes wrote:
> > Adding the release managers to the CC to make sure they see the thread...
> >
> > Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > Since we're migrating to gitlab issues, it seems like a good time to review how
> > > we track stable releases, particularly release blockers.
> > >
> > > I'd like to use a gitlab milestone as a replacement for the tracker issues from
> > > gitlab. The process would work much the same way as it does now, but with a
> > > milestone.
> >
> > Right now, anyone can create milestones.  Is there a way to limit the
> > capability to release managers?  Would that be desirable?
> >
> > I see the same issue with labels...  Anyone could delete a label, and
> > I'm not sure how we would recover that information.
> >
> > > We'll also need to replace the Bugzilla: tag with a tag that gitlab recognizes
> > > for closing issues. Since we already use "Fixes:" for something else, I'd like
> > > to propose "Closes:"
> > >
> > > so we'd replace:
> > >     Buzilla: https://...
> > > with:
> > >     Closes: !0
> >
> > A more exact replacement would be:
> >       Gitlab: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/issues/{issue}
> >

> I also prefer this format. This would allow to reference other issues not in the
> GitLab.

I'd really prefer to use a tag gitlab will manage automatically. Having gitlab
automatically close an issue when the corresponding merge is created is *super*
useful for making sure issues are closed in a timely manner. Gitlab also will
cross reference that an issue has a closing MR, so it's easy to see at a glance
that "for issue !1, Jason has opened #1". That sort of automatic issue/mr
correlation would be incredibly useful.

> > Is there an advantage to the !{issue} format?  Perhaps gitlab parses it
> > and closes the issue?
> >

> Yes, it does when you write something like "closes #issue". But I think I prefer
> to close the issue manually; several times I saw MR that should fix an issue but
> they actually didn't either because it requires other MR, or because there was
> another change in master that requires another change, etc.

That sounds like people incorrectly adding tags. My experience from projects on
github that use the Fixes/Closes notation is that the number of "false
positives" is inconsequential compared stale issues when you don't use them,
either because the submitter can't close the issue themselves manually, or,
because they forget to go back and close it; which is something we've clearly
struggled with a lot (looking at the number of issues migrated from bugzilla).

Dylan