[Mesa-dev] [ANNOUNCE] mesa 20.0.5

Mark Janes mark.a.janes at intel.com
Fri Apr 24 16:00:14 UTC 2020

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> On 2020-04-23 8:37 p.m., Mark Janes wrote:
>>  - search for issues mentioning a test name (unless it is in the title)
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&search=test
>
> lists issues without "test" in the title, so this doesn't seem quite as
> bad as you're making it.

The search finds text in the title and body of the issue.  Comments are
not searchable.  Most of the content of an issue is in the comments.

>>  - search for issues mentioning a commit
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&search=76dbcb1f5e48e10467b15a0e19232eccc3a57ae3
>
> seems to work?

In this example, the commit blob is matched because it is in the body
text.  Commits mentioned in comments are not matched.  Searching for
commits will not match a short sha.

Surprisingly, even when a commit *closes* an issue, you cannot find the
issue from the commit:

 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/2822
 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=closed&search=665250e8300e2b0f3eae27628a9a6f2666e650dd

>>  - subscribe to issue comments in a way that would let you search
>>    offline
>
> On https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa (or its parent page, for the
> whole Mesa group of projects) click the drop-down next to the
> notification bell, select "Custom" and check the "New note" box, then
> you get an e-mail for every comment on every issue & MR.

The goal is to monitor bug investigations for our component and identify
problems that affect releases.  This mechanism will generate a lot of
mail, 95% of which is review comments on merge requests.  Filtering out
MR comments, the majority of remaining issue comments will still be for
other components.

A second email address is required to receive these messages, because
all other gitlab notifications (eg, for my own issues/MRs) would be lost
in the deluge.  A second account could filter out merge request
notifications, solving part of the problem.

Perhaps some creative scripting can be combined with your suggestion to
subscribe to all notes, tagging threads that have a message indicating
labels were added.

I need to subscribe to "all events for issues with labels: ANV i965 i915
iris".  This use case has not been implemented: label subscription only
tells you when a label is added/removed.

It's a lot of work to cobble together a workflow that should be
supported by Gitlab.