[Mesa-dev] Rename "master" branch to "main"?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Aug 4 10:54:11 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 at 17:16, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 11:12 AM Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> wrote:
> > Seems reasonable to me...in the old Subversion days, we called it
> > 'trunk'...then 'master' with Git...but calling the main development
> > branch 'main' is arguably the simplest and most descriptive term.
> >
> > One thing we'll have to coordinate: getting Gitlab CI / Marge and the
> > Intel Mesa CI to switch over at the right time, so we don't end up
> > breaking/interrupting those services.  Should be easy, just requires
> > a bit of coordination.
>
> Yup, I threw Daniel onto the CC of this e-mail explicitly for that
> reason.  We may also want to coordinate with the rest of fd.o so that
> everyone chooses the same new mainline branch name.  I just added
> Michel to the CC as he's doing lots of CI stuff and might be a good
> person to help coordinate there.  I certainly don't want to pull the
> rug out from under anyone.

That's fine by me. I think 'main' is a perfectly fine name, and we'd
be happy to encode that in whatever useful way. I suppose the main
problem with a global nature is the very disparate nature of the
projects - getting everyone to move at once before we throw the switch
would require a great deal of effort. But we can figure it out.

As for retargeting MRs; if it can be done manually, then it can be
done automatically as well. We can figure out a way to just
automatically retarget all the outstanding MRs, but a couple of weeks'
leadtime would be good right now.

Cheers,
Daniel