[Mesa-dev] Rename "master" branch to "main"?

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Tue Aug 4 16:27:43 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 5:54 AM Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 at 17:16, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 11:12 AM Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> wrote:
> > > Seems reasonable to me...in the old Subversion days, we called it
> > > 'trunk'...then 'master' with Git...but calling the main development
> > > branch 'main' is arguably the simplest and most descriptive term.
> > >
> > > One thing we'll have to coordinate: getting Gitlab CI / Marge and the
> > > Intel Mesa CI to switch over at the right time, so we don't end up
> > > breaking/interrupting those services.  Should be easy, just requires
> > > a bit of coordination.
> >
> > Yup, I threw Daniel onto the CC of this e-mail explicitly for that
> > reason.  We may also want to coordinate with the rest of fd.o so that
> > everyone chooses the same new mainline branch name.  I just added
> > Michel to the CC as he's doing lots of CI stuff and might be a good
> > person to help coordinate there.  I certainly don't want to pull the
> > rug out from under anyone.
>
> That's fine by me. I think 'main' is a perfectly fine name, and we'd
> be happy to encode that in whatever useful way. I suppose the main
> problem with a global nature is the very disparate nature of the
> projects - getting everyone to move at once before we throw the switch
> would require a great deal of effort. But we can figure it out.

I don't think we need to get everyone to sync up necessarily.  It
probably would be good if we had consistency across projects as to
what the primary branch is called.  It may also matter from a GitLab
configuration perspective.  There's some chatter on the GitLab issue
tracker about allowing different default branch names and I could
imagine them even adding a per-install default default name.  I don't
think it's a big deal but something to consider.  Here's the GitLab
issue for this:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/220906

> As for retargeting MRs; if it can be done manually, then it can be
> done automatically as well. We can figure out a way to just
> automatically retarget all the outstanding MRs, but a couple of weeks'
> leadtime would be good right now.

It sounds like people are ok with manually re-targetting if they have
to.  However, if there's a script I can run or coordinate with you to
run, that'd probably make the process smoother.  As I've said before,
I don't think we need to rush so if you think that's something someone
could get put together in a couple weeks or a month, I think it's fine
to wait for it.  Likely, Mesa isn't the only project on fd.o that's
going to make a change like this so such a script would probably be
pretty useful.

--Jason