[Mesa-dev] Drop scons for 20.1?

Kristian Høgsberg hoegsberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 18:37:52 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:

> +Jose & Brian
>
> I'm not personally opposed but I also can't remember the last time I had to
> fix the scons build. I think it's been years. Maybe that's because I don't
> work on GL anymore? In any case, I don't know that it's really costing us
> that much given that basically none of the drivers actually build with it.
> But fat meh, I guess.

Maybe it is a bit meh... I did the MR to remove SCons and it's smaller
that I thought it would be:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/3955

but it bothers me how we keep not making a decision on this. If we'd
said, "let's keep it and support it", that would something. But
whenever it comes up, Dylan maybe fixes something on the windows
build, we talk about trying to switch Windows to meson and then...
nothing.

Also, we've had this unfortunate split between Linux and Windows build
systems where autotools suck on Windows and nobody on Unix ever had a
reason to use SCons.  With meson we've picked something that's a
legitimate improvement on both sides, get's us back to one build
system and done more than due dilligence to make it work on Windows
and we're not taking the last step because... meh?

Kristian