[Mesa-dev] Cross-compile from Linux to Windows

Federico Dossena info at fdossena.com
Sat Nov 7 12:14:28 UTC 2020

I'm sorry to bother you in the dev list but it seems to be the only one
with activity so it seems like the best place to ask.

I maintain some Mesa builds for Windows. These are builds of libgl-gdi
with llvmpipe, for both x86 and x86_64; in other words, they're
opengl32.dll files that users can drop into their game/application to
have software rendering for OpenGL as a workaround for broken drivers or
as a fallback for older systems.
I've always used scons on Windows and msvc as a compiler to make these
builds, but now that scons is being deprecated I've been trying to use
meson and ninja to cross-compile from Linux (amd64) to Windows (both x86
and x86_64) without much success. I can get regular Linux builds without
issues though.

I tried reading the Mesa documentation on cross-compiling but it's very
minimal and it's partially obsolete so I thought it would be best to ask
you directly: how do I make these builds? Explain like I'm 5, basically.

Thanks,

Federico