[Mesa-dev] Rust drivers in Mesa

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:13:51 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 08:19 Alyssa Rosenzweig <
alyssa.rosenzweig at collabora.com> wrote:

> Cc'd.
>
> On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 03:17:28PM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> >       Hello,
> > regarding this proposal:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2020-October/224639.html
> >
> > Alyssa, Rust is not "naturally fit for graphics driver
> > development" since it's not as universally available as
> > C/C++ in terms of mature compilers; you're basically
> > trying to put a cart before a horse, which will just
> > put more pressure on both Rust developers team *and*
> > on those of us working on non-x86 arches capable of
> > driving modern GPUs with Mesa.
> >
> > For one, I'm porting ALT Linux onto e2k platform
> > (there's only an early non-optimizing version of
> > Rust port there by now), and we're maintaining repos
> > for aarch64, armv7hf, ppc64el, mipsel, and riscv64 either
> > -- none of which seem to be described as better than
> > "experimental" at http://doc.rust-lang.org/core/arch page
> > in terms of Rust support.

AArch64 with Linux is moving to tier 1 support with official support from
ARM:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2959

In my experience on armv7hf and powerpc64le with Linux and on aarch64 on
Android (running rustc in termux), I've never had issues with Rust.

Jacob Lifshay