[Mesa-dev] Rust drivers in Mesa

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:39:24 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 10:13 Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 08:19 Alyssa Rosenzweig <
> alyssa.rosenzweig at collabora.com> wrote:
>
>> Cc'd.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 03:17:28PM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
>> >       Hello,
>> > regarding this proposal:
>> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2020-October/224639.html
>> >
>> > Alyssa, Rust is not "naturally fit for graphics driver
>> > development" since it's not as universally available as
>> > C/C++ in terms of mature compilers; you're basically
>> > trying to put a cart before a horse, which will just
>> > put more pressure on both Rust developers team *and*
>> > on those of us working on non-x86 arches capable of
>> > driving modern GPUs with Mesa.
>> >
>> > For one, I'm porting ALT Linux onto e2k platform
>> > (there's only an early non-optimizing version of
>> > Rust port there by now), and we're maintaining repos
>> > for aarch64, armv7hf, ppc64el, mipsel, and riscv64 either
>> > -- none of which seem to be described as better than
>> > "experimental" at http://doc.rust-lang.org/core/arch page
>> > in terms of Rust support.

Those are the ISA-specific intrinsics, which aren't really necessary for
almost all rust code.

If your looking for the official support list, see:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/rustc/platform-support.html

You can also see the list of official binaries here:
https://forge.rust-lang.org/infra/other-installation-methods.html

Jacob