[Mesa-dev] A little note on git_sha1.h build status

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Jan 14 23:06:57 UTC 2021

If you're like me, you may have noticed that when you're hacking on
something and rebuilding repeatedly, the ninja build spends a whole
lot of time on:

[1/90] Generating git_sha1.h with a custom command

I found https://github.com/nico/ninjatracing today and applied it, and
it looks like there's nothing we're doing wrong -- git_sha1.h is
completing quickly, but not until a slow command (building that file
you're hacking on) is started, and then the status doesn't update
until the next command completes.

Now I just need a meta-ninja that can process my 8 different build
directories in parallel.