[Mesa-dev] libGL not build but opengl=true option is set

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Sat Mar 13 13:22:00 UTC 2021

On March 13, 2021 04:18:26 Quentin SCHIBLER <quentin.schibler at bbox.fr> wrote:

> GLVND depends on several X librairies. Does it means you cannot have OpenGL
> on wayland without X ?

Yes and no. libGL.so on Linux depends on X11 for historical reasons. The
short version is that, long ago, libGL.so exposed all its symbols directly,
including GLX symbols, and a dependency on X11. We've since learned better
and any new/recentish entrypoints are only exposed via glGetProcAddress.
Unfortunately, we can't really clean up they mess without breaking
backwards compatibility.

With GLVND, we did do the next best thing. There is now a new libOpenGL.so
which has a much reduced set of symbols and, IIRC, no X11 dependency. This
means that it is possible to run desktop OpenGL without pulling in an X11
dependency, assuming the app is built to link against the new library.

More importantly than all that, however, is that your really shouldn't
worry about the X11 dependency. If you have a pure Wayland app which uses
OpenGL, it'll work fine. It might load Xlib or XCB into it's address space
but that code will never be executed. The above are only really issues for
people who are desperate to run a system without any X11 installed which,
IMO, is a pretty pointless goal.

--Jason