LLVM-pipe: most powerful instructions set ;)

test at profit-grand.ru test at profit-grand.ru
Tue Nov 15 12:48:14 UTC 2022

First, thanks for saving my day. Software renderer works way faster than
no renderer at all :)

But there are an "instruction set" which is way faster than the MMX or
SSE sets: it's an existing OpenGL 2.0 driver which is not sufficient in
most cases, because at least 3.0 is required nowadays.

Of course, it's not literally an instruction set, but a source of
additional computing power for basic operations (assuming advanced
operations are not supported by the GPU, making LLVM-pipe necessary for
such systems).

So, the actual question is:

Can LLVM-pipe somehow support (today or in future versions) a "bridge
mode", relying on a different OpenGL driver for basic operations
(supported by some ancient GPU) and closing a gap between that driver
and the required OpenGL version it's usual way, by the state-of-art
software renderer?

It's also somewhat related to my OGLOED driver idea (see my Github), the
difference is "bridge mode" is local, OGLOED is not. But there are some
diagrams which can help understanding my question :)