LLVM-pipe: most powerful instructions set ;)

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Tue Nov 22 11:06:26 UTC 2022

Trying to combine two OpenGL implementations it's technically difficult.  Furthermore one might thing combining two implementations gives the best of both, but easily gives the worst of both worlds, because there's overhead moving data between them.

Image the worst case scenario: draw on driver A, copy data to driver B, draw on driver B, copy data to driver A.  One might devise a heuristic to avoid switching so often, but the end result would end being the bulk of the rendering beind done on the most capable drvier (llvmpipe in this case), so not much better than always using llvmpipe.

This is why technologies like NVIDIA SLI which divide the work across multiple identical GPUs tend to split the work in a granular fashion, like whole frames (GPU 1 draws frame 2*N, GPU 2 draws frame 2*N + 1).

Furthermore, mixing different implementations easily leads to artifacts, like depth fighting, overlapped geometry or gaps between, because 3D APIs specification have somewhat  lax rules about rasterization, and float conversion.

Honestly, it's more effective to buy a more modern device.

Jose