Moving amber into separate repo?

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Sun Sep 25 05:22:33 UTC 2022

On September 24, 2022 04:04:48 "Filip Gawin" <filip at gawin.net> wrote:

>>> 2. repo is growing large. Amber kinda requires long history, modern
>>> mesa not. This may be good spot to split if cleanup is required.
>>
>> mesa absolutely uses long history. there is nothing to clean up. those
>> bytes of disk space are well worth it.
>>
>> (Neutral on the other points, I don't work on stuff suported in Amber)
> I thought here about traces in issues. (Sometimes traces are uploaded onto
> gitlab by users.) I'm guessing it should be possible to reedit really old
> closed issues and remove attachments.

If the fd.o admins are complaining about disk usage, we can take steps to
reduce that but it's entirely irrelevant to the discussion of whether amber
should get it's own repo. Pulling amber into a separate repo won't reduce
disk usage. If anything, it'll slightly increase it but not by an amount
that's likely to matter.

Let's stay focused on actual reasons that might matter, like user confusion
(if that's actually happening).

--Jason