Queries regarding the Khronos specification license

Paianis mail at paianis.name
Sun Feb 4 16:09:45 UTC 2024

Hi all,

For context, I'm interested in re-implementing parts of the Vulkan APIs
(at least the parts necessary to develop a Wayland compositor), as the
OpenBSD project won't accept Apache License 2.0 for code except when it
is deemed unavoidable (LLVM), and the Khronos' APIs use this license.

The Khronos specifications for Vulkan and later OpenGL versions use this
license:

https://www.khronos.org/legal/Khronos_Specification_Copyright_License_Header

Have Mesa3D developers had to use the specifications under
registry.khronos.org for other Khronos standards, and if so, has written
permission to use them and Khronos trademarks ever been sought?

If I've understood correctly, Mesa3D currently has Vulkan drivers for
some GPUs in various stages of progress, but not a re-implementation of
the Vulkan APIs. Would it be an acceptable home for this (under the MIT
License), or should such a project be separate for now?

Thanks

Paianis