Queries regarding the Khronos specification license

Faith Ekstrand faith at gfxstrand.net
Tue Feb 6 22:20:05 UTC 2024

What do you mean "re-implementing parts of the Vulkan APIs"?

I have a feeling someone is confused about licensing....

Also, I'm NOT a lawyer. What follows does not constitute legal advice and
anyone who's actually concerned about the legal implications should consult
an actual lawyer who is familiar with international copyright law.

Okay, with that said, I don't think anyone in the OpenBSD world has
anything to worry about. The only thing being distributed under Apache 2.0
are the Vulkan headers, not any of the driver code implementing Vulkan. If
someone is that worried about the license of a handful of headers, I think
they should just go through the OpenBSD approval process and get them
approved.  I guess you'll have to also get the loader approved but I doubt
there's any real problems there, either.

A for Khronos copyright. Yes, we should be good there. Most Vulkan drivers
in Mesa are conformant implementations and therefore it's fine to use the
Vulkan trademark in association with them.

If you're talking about making a different spec that looks like Vulkan and
uses different names for everything just to avoid the Apache 2.0 license,
don't do that. That will get you in trouble with Khronos and I will NAK any
attempt to do that in Mesa.

Again, I'm not a lawyer.

~Faith