Mesa >= 23.3.x and python 2.6 ...

Jordan Justen jordan.l.justen at intel.com
Mon Jan 22 07:35:48 UTC 2024

I dropped dri-devel from this reply.

On 2024-01-20 05:56:23, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> Hi Jordan
>
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 01:47:58AM -0800, Jordan Justen wrote:
> >
> > It was "fun" finding a way to get python 3.6 :), but after that, I
> > think I found a way to make Python 3.6 work. I guess you can try it
> > out:
> >
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/jljusten/mesa/-/commits/intel-genxml-python3.6
> >
> > In my light testing, Python 3.6 through 3.13 seemed to work. Python
> > 3.5 did *not* work.
>
> Wow! Thanks a lot! Indeed these two patches fix this build issue for me! :-)
>
> In addition I needed to add the attached patch to fix some more errors I saw
> with a python 3.6 build. With that I can build again Mesa 23.3.3.

It looks like you could turn your changes into ~2 patches.

I do find this change potentially concerning in that it seems like it
actually would change behavior when newer Python versions are used.

-       subparsers = parser.add_subparsers(required=True)
+       subparsers = parser.add_subparsers()

With my two patches, and your ~2 patches, you could open a merge
request for Mesa. To be honest, I don't know how it would be received.
(Maybe someone would push back on supporting an outdated Python, or
perhaps not.)

One other question, do you only care about Mesa 23.3? If so, you could
target the merge request for the 23.3 branch. It seems like there
potentially could be less chance of getting push back for supporting
this for just the 23.3 release.

-Jordan