Mesa >= 23.3.x and python 2.6 ...

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.com
Mon Jan 22 18:27:07 UTC 2024

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 11:35:48PM -0800, Jordan Justen wrote:
> I dropped dri-devel from this reply.

Thanks! Initially I added dri-devel, since mesa-dev looked rather dead in
comparison to dri-devel. Also the issue was initially Intel driver specific.

> On 2024-01-20 05:56:23, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> > Hi Jordan
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 01:47:58AM -0800, Jordan Justen wrote:
> > >
> > > It was "fun" finding a way to get python 3.6 :), but after that, I
> > > think I found a way to make Python 3.6 work. I guess you can try it
> > > out:
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/jljusten/mesa/-/commits/intel-genxml-python3.6
> > >
> > > In my light testing, Python 3.6 through 3.13 seemed to work. Python
> > > 3.5 did *not* work.
> >
> > Wow! Thanks a lot! Indeed these two patches fix this build issue for me! :-)
> >
> > In addition I needed to add the attached patch to fix some more errors I saw
> > with a python 3.6 build. With that I can build again Mesa 23.3.3.
>
> It looks like you could turn your changes into ~2 patches.
>
> I do find this change potentially concerning in that it seems like it
> actually would change behavior when newer Python versions are used.
>
> -       subparsers = parser.add_subparsers(required=True)
> +       subparsers = parser.add_subparsers()

Thanks, I will split this up and apply this one only for systems with python
3.6.

> With my two patches, and your ~2 patches, you could open a merge
> request for Mesa. To be honest, I don't know how it would be received.
> (Maybe someone would push back on supporting an outdated Python, or
> perhaps not.)

Yeah. We'll see, what the feedback will be. Obviously Mesa is no longer
build-tested with python 3.6, so I may end up fighing against windmills
anyway, I will try to request a newer pyhton for next enterprise service pack
product, but I'm afraid it will be rejected. :-(

> One other question, do you only care about Mesa 23.3? If so, you could
> target the merge request for the 23.3 branch. It seems like there
> potentially could be less chance of getting push back for supporting
> this for just the 23.3 release.

Unfortunately it's likely I also need a python 3.6 supported Mesa also beyond
23.3.x. :-( See my previous comment.

For now I will give the patches a try for our Betas and a few weeks from now I
will try to make a pull request for my changes. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Frankenstraße 146
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90461 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany