Does gbm_bo_map() implicitly synchronise?

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Thu Jun 20 13:59:09 UTC 2024

On 6/20/24 11:04, Chema Casanova wrote:

> You can have a look at the Open MR we created two years ago for Xserver
> [1] "modesetting: Add DRI3 support to modesetting driver with glamor
> disabled". We are using it downstream for Raspberry Pi OS to enable on
> RPi1-3 GPU accelerated client applications, while the Xserver is using
> software composition with pixman.
>
> [1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/945

I did actually look at that to get some idea of how things are
connected. But the comments suggested that the design wasn't robust, so
we ended up trying a different approach.

Our work is now available in the latest TigerVNC beta, via this PR:

https://github.com/TigerVNC/tigervnc/pull/1771

> We recently identified that it has an issue[2] with synchronization on
> the server side when after glFlush() in the client side the command list
> takes too much (several seconds) to finish the rendering.
>
> [2] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/11228

Oh. I can try to test it here. We don't seem to have any synchronisation
issues now that we got that VNC bug resolved.

The two big issues we have presently is the SIGBUS crash I opened a
separate thread about, and getting glvnd to choose correctly when the
Nvidia driver is used.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB               https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?