[Mesa-maintainers] RFC discussion using meson for Mesa

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 12:06:52 UTC 2017

On 21 March 2017 at 18:10, Andreas Boll <andreas.boll.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI there's a libtool performance regression which causes a slower
> build of mesa.
>
> See http://harald.hoyer.xyz/2015/03/05/libtool-getting-rid-of-180000-sed-forks/
> and https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=848864
>
> There are three commits [1] [2] [3] for mitigating this issue in the
> libtool git repo since 2015
> but unfortunately those patches haven't made it into a release yet.

Thanks for bringing this up Andreas, I'll check what's the hold up on
their end and how we can get things going again.
Might also try to get my distro (Arch) to use the patches, considering
the noticeable change.

-Emil

libtool 2.4.2
real    20m56.007s
user    29m20.010s
sys     1m5.180s

libtool 2.4.6 - aka nearly 50% time increase
real    27m58.143s
user    37m55.500s
sys     1m36.470s