[Mesa-users] Inspection of Mesa/OpenGL state

Bryce Van Dyk bvan036 at aucklanduni.ac.nz
Wed Apr 6 05:13:45 PDT 2011

On 5 April 2011 04:46, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:

> What kind of state are you interested in?  Something beyond the usual
> glGet*() queries?

Hey,

Part of my interest is in knowing how much one can/can't do with Mesa and
OpenGL. Being new to Mesa, and relatively so to OpenGL as well I welcome any
corrections or advice on what I say below.

I am interested in stuff beyond the glGet* queires. In regards to the glGet*
queries these would require modification of the code running above Mesa,
right? Is there a way to tap directly into the state these queries are
addressing, or does that amount to the same thing?

With regards to other functionality I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of
can one get information on and interact with the command buffer? Can one
directly access buffers such as the depth buffer or the front buffer (though
if I understand correctly one can also read this back using glReadPixels).
Can one inspect shaders using the software renderer to a greater degree than
with hardware? For example, being able to check values of variables during
shader execution?

Kind regards,

Bryce Van Dyk.