[Mesa-users] Problem in multiseat configuration

pjssilva at gmail.com pjssilva at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:10:49 PST 2011

Hello,

I am trying to use a multiseat configuration but I am having problem
with gnome shell or ubuntu unity. I use Ubuntu 11.10 with mesa libmesa
7.11.

My system has two graphics cards, the integrated intel card from a
core i5 2500 CPU and a Radeon 5450. Here is the output from lspci |
grep VGA:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Cedar PRO
[Radeon HD 5450]

Both cards work well in a single seat setting.But once I try to use
both cards at once in a multiseat setting the secondary card fails to
load correctly the libraries for 3D. In my case the ATI card is the
secondary card. If I use it in singles sear I get (from glxinfo):

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.12-devel

While in the multiseat version I get

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11

It seems that since mesa is loaded in the primary card to use the
Intel direct rendering driver it fails in the secondary card.

Is this behavior expected? Is there a work around. Right now I can run
glxgears with good performance in the secondary card but gnome shell
and unity fail to work.

Any advice?

Paulo

Obs: I send attached the glxinfo output for single seat and multi seat
using the ATI card and my xorg.conf files.

--
Paulo José da Silva e Silva
Professor Associado, Dep. de Ciência da Computação

e-mail: pjssilva at ime.usp.br         Web: http://www.ime.usp.br/~pjssilva