[Mesa-users] Mesa 7.10 and glXGetFBConfigs

Allen Barnett allen at transpireinc.com
Thu Nov 10 14:31:57 PST 2011

Hi:
We recently upgraded a server to RHEL 6. It uses Mesa-7.10 as its basic
OpenGL software. I have since noticed that I cannot remotely run OpenGL
applications on the server with the DISPLAY set to certain local X
servers. Here's a short table:

OS         Local X Server                    Status
RHEL 5     X.org 1.1, GLX: NVIDIA 285.05.09: Doesn't work
Ubuntu 10.10 GLX: NVIDIA 260.19.06         : Doesn't work
windows xp Xming 6.9.0.31 (vmware 7)       : Doesn't work

Fedora 14  X.org 1.9.5, GLX: Mesa 7.9(r300): Works
windows xp Cygwin/X, X.org 1.10 (vmware 7) : Works

glxinfo usually gives this message when it doesn't work:

$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual of fbconfig
name of display: localhost:11.0

The nub of the problem seems to be that glXGetFBConfigs does not return
any FB configs for the RHEL5+NVIDIA server or the Xming server (i.e.,
glXGetFBConfigs returns NULL). I stepped through the Mesa GLX code on
the RHEL 6 server as it communicated with the local X server and the
problem seems to be in dri_common.c:driConvertConfig: It tries to match
up two sets of glx_config's and can't find any matching configs. That's
as far as I could follow the code; I'm not sure where the two configs
come from, nor which properties dri_common.c:driConfigEqual thinks don't
agree.

Is this a known problem? Any suggestions for further debugging would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen

--