[Mesa-users] threading in mesa

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Dec 7 15:45:49 PST 2012

On 12/07/2012 11:00 AM, burlen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use a threaded mesa build with the osmesa driver on an
> Intel MIC. I'm exploring the possibility of it's native mode to avoid
> having to make modifications to mesa sources. A number of comments in
> the docs suggest this may not be easily achieved.

I doubt auto-threading of osmesa/swrast will yield much improvement there.

> Is threading limited to 8, web docs state this but it seems low given
> recently the increasing core counts?
> Does threading depend on LLVM compilers? I think for something like
> MIC in native mode intel compilers would be necessary.

You're talking about the llvmpipe driver?  If so, I think you could
increase LP_MAX_THREADS to something larger than 8.  Never tried it
though.  Be aware that the llvmpipe driver does not work with the
OSMesa interface.

> Those are my initial concerns, also curious to know if the MIC
> architecture is on Mesa developers radar?

I don't recall any discussion of MIC so far.

-Brian