[Mesa-users] llvmpipe: accessing texture memory directly from the client

Alex Karpenko alexkarpenko at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 16:07:29 PST 2013

Hello,

We use Gallium+llvmpipe for video frame processing. We're trying to solve a bottleneck caused by having to copy a video frame buffer (as received from ffmpeg's decoder) to a texture, and then copying the OpenGL framebuffer back onto a buffer (to feed into ffmpeg's encoder).

Since we're dealing with a software driver, memory is shared with the CPU. So, is there a way to efficiently map a buffer onto a texture and back without doing any copies? We can ask ffmpeg to return the buffer in certain RGB/YUV formats that may be suitable here.

Also, we're using windowless EGL (running on an EC2 instance without X11) via the "null" EGL platform.

Would appreciate any help you can offer!

Kind regards,

Alex Karpenko