[Mesa-users] glproto when building Mesa

Andy Skinner Andy.Skinner at mathworks.com
Wed Jan 29 13:10:29 PST 2014

We've been using an old Mesa for too long, and I'm trying to build a newer one.  When I run configure, I get:
==============================
configure: error: Package requirements (glproto >= 1.4.14) were not met:

Requested 'glproto >= 1.4.14' but version of GLProto is 1.4.11

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLPROTO_CFLAGS
and GLPROTO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what glproto really is and what I need to do about it.

I can find the glproto.pc file on my system, with the older version in it.  Does that mean that I need to build Mesa on a machine with this more recent?  Or can I get a newer glproto and put it somewhere (PKG_CONFIG_PATH as mentioned above)?  I've seen a glproto.pc.in that looks like it is supposed to be used to make glproto.pc.  Do I start with that and generate a more recent version?  From what?

Does the glproto version need to match what is on the system?  If I update the file (however I do that), does it matter whether that matches what the system has?

I want to build Mesa now, but not as a one-time thing.  We want to be able to build any third party libraries we use whenever necessary, so if I need to be able to update glproto, I'm hoping I can do that and use it with whatever computer I'm going to build Mesa on.  Does that make sense?

thanks
andy