[Mesa-users] glproto when building Mesa

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Jan 31 07:56:00 PST 2014

On 01/29/2014 02:10 PM, Andy Skinner wrote:
> We’ve been using an old Mesa for too long, and I’m trying to build a
> newer one.  When I run configure, I get:
>
> ==============================
>
> configure: error: Package requirements (glproto >= 1.4.14) were not met:
>
> Requested 'glproto >= 1.4.14' but version of GLProto is 1.4.11
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLPROTO_CFLAGS
>
> and GLPROTO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
>
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> ==============================
>
> I’m having a bit of trouble understanding what glproto really is and
> what I need to do about it.
>
> I can find the glproto.pc file on my system, with the older version in
> it.  Does that mean that I need to build Mesa on a machine with this
> more recent?  Or can I get a newer glproto and put it somewhere
> (PKG_CONFIG_PATH as mentioned above)? I’ve seen a glproto.pc.in that
> looks like it is supposed to be used to make glproto.pc.  Do I start
> with that and generate a more recent version?  From what?
>
> Does the glproto version need to match what is on the system?  If I
> update the file (however I do that), does it matter whether that matches
> what the system has?
>
> I want to build Mesa now, but not as a one-time thing.  We want to be
> able to build any third party libraries we use whenever necessary, so if
> I need to be able to update glproto, I’m hoping I can do that and use it
> with whatever computer I’m going to build Mesa on.  Does that make sense?
>
> thanks

Can you do something like "yum update x11proto-dev" or "apt-get update
x11proto-gl-dev" (I don't recall the exact package name off-hand) to get
a newer version of glproto?

If that doesn't work you can download/install it yourself.  See
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/glproto/ for tarballs.

-Brian