[Mesa-users] version string for OpenGL not correct?

andrew henry adhenry.9 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:07:08 PDT 2015

On 11/08/15 18:55, Benjamin Bellec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a recurrent mistake.
>
> glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version" gives you the level for the GL
> Compatibility profile. Mesa is currently limited to GL3.0 in
> Compatibility level and the developers don't plan to implement higher
> Compatibility level.
>
> What you are looking for is in fact the OpenGL Core profile, which you
> get with the command :
> glxinfo | grep -A 1 "OpenGL core profile version"
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Benjamin

Hi.

I did see that core profile was set to 3.3, but my problem--that Dying
Light on Steam does not start--is that Dying Light is getting the string
for the compatibility version if what you say is true.

glxinfo gives me this.  Look at the line that says

"OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel"

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.42.0, LLVM
3.6.2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.0-devel
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
[andrew at blackbox ~]$ glxinfo | grep -A 1 "OpenGL core profile version"
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.0-devel
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30

In the error message that Dying Light throws out, I can clearly tell
that it's getting the string to tell it what version I have from the
"compatibility level" and not the core profile string:

http://ibin.co/2BnE5j6fUTX5

Maybe this is a fault of the dying light devs rather than Mesa?