[Mesa-users] Need help proving I am using POLARIS10 drivers and upgrading OpenGL to 4.5

Benjamin Bellec b.bellec at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 14:30:09 UTC 2017

Hi,

I checked the github ticket.

Your dmesg output shows indeed you run on a RX 470 GPU, but the driver used
is LLVMPIPE, a software-based OpenGL renderer. So the amdgpu driver (which
enable hardware acceleration of your RX470) is NOT used.

You are confused with VMWare because VMWare is labeled as the vendor of the
LLVMPIPE driver (I don't remember the story, but I guess VMWare people was
the creator of this LLVMPIPE driver in Mesa, hence the vendor name in the
driver information).

> My RX470 should support OpenGL 4.5. my glxinfo says it only supports
OpenGL 3.0
Be careful, glxinfo output 2 OpenGL version : the "Core profile" and the
"Compatibility profile" (also called Forward Compatible).
The Compatibility Profile is stuck OpenGL 3.0 because Mesa do not support
more than that.
But, if you used the amdgpu driver, you should indeed see OpenGL 4.5 for
the Core profile version.
That said, if you use LLVMPIPE, I don't know what if the max OpenGL core
version.

Regards.