ModemManager subscription status

Thieu Le thieule at google.com
Wed Sep 18 12:07:44 PDT 2013

Hi All,

While there is currently an ActivationState property in
org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Modem.ModemCdma, there is no equivalent for
3GPP.  Knowing the current subscription state of a 3GPP SIM is critical to
delivering a good UX where self-activation and OTA activation is becoming
more commonplace.  We would like to propose a new property to be added
to org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Modem.Modem3gpp named SubscriptionState
(see below).  This property is used to indicate whether a SIM has been
activated and whether it has any data left.  This property is valid after
the modem tries to register with the network.  We currently compute this
value in our connection manager (shill) but we feel that it makes more
sense to put this code in ModemManager so that other people can benefit
from it.

<!--
    SubscriptionState:

    Indicates the activation status of the SIM and whether there
    is any data remaining.  Possible values include:
        0 - Unknown
        1 - Not activated
        2 - Activated with data available
        3 - Activated but data exhausted
-->
<property name="SubscriptionState" type="u" access="read" />

I have not prepared a patch but using this email to solicit feedback.

Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks,
Thieu