AT Commands for QMI based Dialing?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sun Dec 28 00:53:56 PST 2014

Hey,

>   Greetings,
>
> Are there any known AT commands to "activate/dial" the QMI network
> interface for wireless modems? I'd want to know if there are any such
> known AT commands for any model of (QMI based) modems or even just
> where I might find such information, but if I had to name particular
> models I would be most interested in the Huawei UMG366 and/or
> ZTE MF683 (used in the T-Mobile Jet 2.0 and Rocket 3.0 products).
>
> The idea here is to have a way to control and activate the cdc-wdm0
> interface via AT commands alone (like we can easily do with AT^NDISDUP
> for Huawei NDIS based modems) without having to depend at all on
> the libqmi package. (Please ignore the higher issue of just why I want
> to do this, I just do. LOL.)
>
> For example, it is my understanding that modems based in Sierra Wireless
> chipsets can do something like:
>
> at+cfun=1
> at+cgdcont=1,"IP","my.apn"
> at!scdftprof=1
> at!scprof=1,"",0,0,0,0
> at!scact=1,1
> at!scpaddr=1
>
> I attempted something like:
>
> AT+CFUN=1
> AT+COPS=0
> AT+CGATT=1
> AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","my.apn",""
> AT$QCPDPP=1,0
> AT+CGACT=1,1
> AT+CGPADDR=1
>
> and the modem connects with a solid LED indication, but the wwan0
> interface remains silent, with no response to DHCP requests over
> it until a
>
> qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 start
>
> is issued which wakes everything up and DHCP can then proceed just
> fine.
>
> If I try
>
> ATD*99#
>
> type commands I lose the AT console on /dev/ttyUSB1 as it wants to
> start ppp and such.
>
> That said, I do wonder if there are magic dial codes (e.g., ATD*7134#)
> which will enable the qmi network interface and leave the AT command
> console alone.
>
> Working on the other side of the problem, perhaps there is a simple
> ioctl or such which I can issue to /dev/cdc-wdm0 to activate it
> from that end of things.

I don't think there are any such commands, no.

The fact that you can use AT!SCACT and the such in Sierra is because
you're activating the DirectIP based WWAN network interface. With
those modems you can usually switch between DirectIP, QMI or MBIM
firmware, and use the one you prefer.

The QMI network interface, AFAIK, needs to be activated via QMI protocol always.

What's the issue with libqmi/qmicli? If you don't want to use them you
also have other connection managers working with QMI (e.g. ofono or
uqmi).