AT Commands for QMI based Dialing?

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Sat Dec 27 20:06:33 PST 2014

  Greetings,

Are there any known AT commands to "activate/dial" the QMI network
interface for wireless modems? I'd want to know if there are any such
known AT commands for any model of (QMI based) modems or even just
where I might find such information, but if I had to name particular
models I would be most interested in the Huawei UMG366 and/or
ZTE MF683 (used in the T-Mobile Jet 2.0 and Rocket 3.0 products).

The idea here is to have a way to control and activate the cdc-wdm0
interface via AT commands alone (like we can easily do with AT^NDISDUP
for Huawei NDIS based modems) without having to depend at all on
the libqmi package. (Please ignore the higher issue of just why I want
to do this, I just do. LOL.)

For example, it is my understanding that modems based in Sierra Wireless
chipsets can do something like:

at+cfun=1
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","my.apn"
at!scdftprof=1
at!scprof=1,"",0,0,0,0
at!scact=1,1
at!scpaddr=1

I attempted something like:

AT+CFUN=1
AT+COPS=0
AT+CGATT=1
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","my.apn",""
AT$QCPDPP=1,0
AT+CGACT=1,1
AT+CGPADDR=1

and the modem connects with a solid LED indication, but the wwan0
interface remains silent, with no response to DHCP requests over
it until a

qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 start

is issued which wakes everything up and DHCP can then proceed just
fine.

If I try

ATD*99#

type commands I lose the AT console on /dev/ttyUSB1 as it wants to
start ppp and such.

That said, I do wonder if there are magic dial codes (e.g., ATD*7134#)
which will enable the qmi network interface and leave the AT command
console alone.

Working on the other side of the problem, perhaps there is a simple
ioctl or such which I can issue to /dev/cdc-wdm0 to activate it
from that end of things.

  Cheers and thank you in advance,

  Mike Shell