GPS compatible modems.

Yegor Yefremov yegorslists at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 27 13:13:53 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Marc Murphy <marcmltd at marcm.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am really keen to use Modem Manager in my embedded platform because it's great for me to be able to swap out modems and still get a connection.
>
> What I really need is reliable GPS as well.  All the cards I currently use don't seem to be supported for GPS.  So I'm asking for anyone who uses a mini PCIe modem card with GPS to supply the manufacturer and model so I can get some for testing.
>
> I currently have;
> Sierra Wireless MC8705
> Sierra Wireless MC7710
> Huawei EM820W
>
> Even with using ModemManager 1.4 it can't use the GPS.
>
> Would love to get something reliable.

I have no real-life experiences with GPS cards (used only in my office
and not outdoor), but I played a little with Sierra Wireless MC7304.
AFAIK it has GPS support for active GPS antennas as MC7710 did
(dedicated connector). I find this an important feature, almost all
other GSM cards offer support for passive antennas.

So far, when SIM card was present, I had no problems getting FIX
either via AT commands or using the latest MM version. I've placed a
metallic box to my windows and attached magnetic GPS antenna to it. I
get coordinates in about one minute. Hardware: TI am335x based system.

Yegor