error: couldn't find the ModemManager process in the bus

João M. S. Silva joao.m.santos.silva at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 07:22:56 PDT 2015

I think I found the place and time where the change took place:

modemmanager (0.4.997-1ubuntu1) oneiric; urgency=low

   * debian/modemmanager.upstart: add an upstart config file so ModemManager
     gets started just before NM, and stopped along with it. (LP: #806082)
   * debian/rules: install upstart file only for Ubuntu.

  -- Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com>  Fri, 08 Jul 2011
15:32:13 -0400

I was looking for this on ModemManager source code, but of course this
is added by the package maintainer, because it depends on the distro.

On 07/29/2015 11:41 AM, Bernd Eggink wrote:
> On 28.07.2015 23:32, João M. S. Silva wrote:
>> On 07/28/2015 06:33 PM, Bernd Eggink wrote:
>>> And ModemManager can be used without NetworkManager. On my system
>>> (Crux), I do everything with mmcli and a couple of scripts.
>>
>> Yes, I use mmcli to create and send an SMS. But if the modem is not
>> detected, I cannot use it.
>>
>> If I start modemmanager, then the dongle works. How do you use it if you
>> don't enable modemmanager?
>
> I _do_ start ModemManager as a background process in an init script.
> After this, I use mmcli for status reports, connecting and disconnecting.
>
> - Bernd

João M. S. Silva