Sierra modem stopped working

Bernd Eggink monoped at sudrala.de
Sun Jun 14 01:41:34 PDT 2015

On 14.06.2015 00:22, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Bernd Eggink <monoped at sudrala.de> wrote:
>> When I tried to connect to my Sierra modem recently (after not using it for
>> some weeks), it turned out that I can't get a connection, whatever I do. (I
>> had updated some libraries in the meantime, but unfortunately I can't
>> remember which.) Presently I have: ModemManager 1.4.8, libmbim 1.12.2,
>> libqmi 1.12.6. The modem itself is OK, it works under windows.
>>
>> Output (not very helpful):
>>
>> successfully enabled the modem
>> error: couldn't connect the modem:
>> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libmbim.Error.Status.Failure: Failure'
>>
>> The debug output is attached. Could anybody have a look at it?
>

> Hard to say. Looks like after the super helpful "Failure" error, the
> modem loses all the connectivity (signal 99->0) and (lte->unknown) and
> gets unregistered from the network, which prevents further connection
> attempts...
>
> May be a network issue? Although you said it works under other OS, so not sure.

Certainly not a network issue. As I said, it works under Windows. I also
tried 3 other Linux live systems (all of which use ModemManager), and it
failed under each of them in the same way.
This is rather unsatisfying. Could it be a kernel issue? Do you know of
any other modem software I could try?

--
Bernd