Concurrent usage of mmcli

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Oct 6 02:35:01 PDT 2015

Looks like I forgot to reply this message, sorry.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM, "João M. S. Silva"
<joao.m.santos.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
> I launched a few parallel instances of a script that creates and sends the
> SMS.
>
> The modem is:
>
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
> E169/E620/E800 HSDPA Modem
>
> The errors are:
>
> error: couldn't enable the modem:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.WrongState: Cannot
> enable modem: already being enabled'
> error: couldn't connect the modem:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.WrongState: Couldn't
> wait for 'enabled': new state is 'enabling'

This is just an error telling you that the current request to enable
the modem cannot be fulfilled because there was an earlier request
that already asked to enable the modem. When you get one of this
errors, what you should do is wait for the modem to get enabled before
going on. If you're using mmcli only (i.e. not your own program using
libmm-glib) then, I'd suggest you just sleep some seconds and retry
the command. Once the modem has been enabled once, it will be enabled
for every other mmcli action, unless someone asks MM to disable the
modem. If you didn't explicitly request to enable the modem, it may
just be that other components on your system (e.g. NetworkManager, or
even gnome-shell) asked that for you as soon as the modem was
detected.