M7354 IPv6 Problem

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Thu Sep 24 18:22:28 PDT 2015

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 15:19:39 -0500
Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> To follow up on this, I used a Huawei E397 to bring up dual-stack IPV4V6
> context successfully with ModemManager and NetworkManager. First, make
> sure the APN you're using is known-good (otherwise you'll get CallFailed
> errors) and that the profile in the modem that matches the APN is a V4V6
> context.

What about the potential for a limitation here (for the original poster)
with regard to the network operators themselves? For example, T-Mobile is
supposed to be IPv6 ready throughout their entire network. However, does
such IPv6 readiness also generally apply to the APNs of their MVNOs
(subproviders, e.g., Net10, Ting, Simple Mobile)?

If not, then even if the modem and the "parent" network owner supports IPv6,
using an APN for a MVNO might restrict the connection to IPv4 only.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell