M7354 IPv6 Problem

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 21:10:56 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-24 at 21:22 -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 15:19:39 -0500
> Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > To follow up on this, I used a Huawei E397 to bring up dual-stack IPV4V6
> > context successfully with ModemManager and NetworkManager. First, make
> > sure the APN you're using is known-good (otherwise you'll get CallFailed
> > errors) and that the profile in the modem that matches the APN is a V4V6
> > context.
>
> What about the potential for a limitation here (for the original poster)
> with regard to the network operators themselves? For example, T-Mobile is
> supposed to be IPv6 ready throughout their entire network. However, does
> such IPv6 readiness also generally apply to the APNs of their MVNOs
> (subproviders, e.g., Net10, Ting, Simple Mobile)?

It's the intersection of the provider's capabilities and the modem's
capabilities.  So even if your modem supports IPv6 the provider may not,
and vice versa.  I think most LTE providers do implement IPv6 because
it's required in the standards, but some may implement it badly.  MM has
logic to fall back to IPv4 when a requested IPv4v6 context fails.

> If not, then even if the modem and the "parent" network owner supports IPv6,
> using an APN for a MVNO might restrict the connection to IPv4 only.

Yeah, unfortunately.

Dan