Configuring network on Sierra EM7455: Lenovo x260

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Apr 20 09:16:23 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Joshua Deare <josh at compose.io> wrote:

> At this point I would think everything would be okay. But when I do this:
> $ ip addr show wwp0s20f0u3i12
> 2: wwp0s20f0u3i12: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop
> state DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether c6:e0:06:16:32:5c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> the device isn't up and/or configured. Am I mistaken that ModemManager
> takes responsibility for configuring the interface? If I
> $ ip link set wwp0s20f0u3i12 up
> then the interface goes into an unknown state. If I also take steps to
> manually configure the static IP for the interface with iproute2 then
> I still can't ping out. Ideas here? I'm suffering from "oh I'm so
> close" syndrome.

ModemManager won't configure the network interface, no. It will expose
in the Bearer object what to do; in this case it's requesting to set
the static IP configuration, which you need to do manually. Which are
the exact iproute2 commands you're using to try to configure the wwan?

But, I believe there may be a quicker way to get you working, if
you're using NetworkManager, are you? If you're using NetworkManager,
you just need to run the FCC auth command via cli, and then let the
MM/NM pair work together to bring up the connection; no need to
manually create the bearer and all that.