ModemManager using QMI doesnt always work in the first attemp.

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Jan 19 10:28:07 PST 2016

Hey!

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 6:36 PM, José <Joseddg92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/tree/plugins/telit/mm-plugin-telit.c?id=1.4.12
> seems like the Telit plugin only handles tty port, but I am using QMI
> with the Telit LE910. Should it still be using the Telit plugin?

Ideally, the Telit plugin itself should be able to manage QMI modems.
That is what I was targeting to do in git master, no more generic
"gobi" plugin.

> The following lines appear at the log (in this order):
>
> (Telit) [wwan0] filtered by subsystem
> (Telit) [ttyUSB4] filtered by udev tags
> (Telit) [ttyUSB1] filtered by udev tags
> (Telit) [ttyUSB2] filtered by udev tags
> (Telit) [ttyUSB3] filtered by udev tags
> (Telit) [ttyUSB0] filtered by udev tags
> (Telit) [cdc-wdm0] filtered by subsystem

That means there are no udev tags for your device, I guess.

> I think at least one of the ttyUSBn device nodes should NOT filter
> Telit plugin, right? From the code:

Yes. All of them should have udev tags; check the udev rules in the
plugins/telit directory.

> /* If we didn't match any udev tag: unsupported */
>         if (!self->priv->udev_tags[i]) {
>             mm_dbg ("(%s) [%s] filtered by udev tags",
>                     self->priv->name,
>                     g_udev_device_get_name (port));
>             return TRUE;
>         }
>

> I have been looking at
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?h=mm-1-4&id=0505021ac6c79c28bd28184a9daa988b0712c71f
> and seems like the idProduct is not in the udev rules. Should the
> idProduct 1201 be added? Looking around (for exapmle
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg115457.html) seems like this
> is the right productId for Telit LE910.
>
> I attach all the relevant information (I think) for the modem.

Also, as said earlier, I would make sure the Telit plugin handles QMI
when QMI is found, so that we see the Telit plugin managing the modem,
even if it's using the generic QMI implementation; in that way we
could subclass the QMI implementation in the plugin directly if needed
(as we do for Cinterion to provide AT-based GPS management given that
no QMI service is implemented).

So, to recap:
 * Check if you can add udev tags for your device in the Telit plugin
udev rules.
 * Check if you can add QMI support in the Telit plugin directly.

Thanks!