FCC authentication with QMI over MBIM; try 1

Stefan Armbruster ml001 at armbruster-it.de
Fri Jun 10 18:46:21 UTC 2016

Aleksander,

HW is a Thinkpad X1 Yoga equipped with a Sierra ID 1199:9079. System
is a Ubuntu 16.04 with ubuntu mainline 4.6.2 kernel.
I've built locally debian packages for libmbim, libqmi and
modemmanager - each based on qmi-over-mbim branch. I've used the stock
version shipping with the distribution and followed the "new upstream
release" workflow from the Debian New Maintainers Guide
(https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/update.en.html#newupstream)

To have cleaner environment for testing I've disabled
activation/deactivation e.g. of WWAN when WIFI is connected and vice
versa or upon docking/undocking  in TLP.

I have not done enough testing but it seems to work so far. I've cold
booted the machine and got  "power state: on" on `mmcli -l 0` - so fcc
auth seems to be done. After a suspend/resume cycle I also got a
connection to my mobile provider.

Please let me know if you need any debugging output or if I can help
in any other way.

On a unrelated note: my 4G signal is rather poor. Mobile phone
typically flips back and forth between 2g and 3g. I have the feeling
that the Sierra modem does not really fall back to 2g. The connection
is established very fast and reproducible, I do get IP address
assigned, but it seems that I'm only sending out packets but don't
receive anything.

Changing to outdoors changed behaviour that I get traffic in both directions.

Is there a way check if degradation to 3g or 2g is properly working?

Cheers,
Stefan