libmm-glib.so.0: cannot open shared object file

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Mar 2 08:54:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 1:33 AM, Ali Nematollahi <alirezan1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade to MM 1.4.12 and I just compiled and installed the
> 1.4.12 package. Everything seemingly went alright (on Debian Wheezy) but as
> soon as I try to run MM commands, I get this error:
>

> ModemManager --version
> ModemManager: error while loading shared libraries: libmm-glib.so.0: cannot
>
> root at beaglebone:~# find / -name libmm-glib.so.0
> /root/ModemManager-1.4.12/libmm-glib/.libs/libmm-glib.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libmm-glib.so.0
>

> Am I missing something in this?  Any ideas?

You run configure without --prefix, and that means that configure
defaults to /usr/local as installable path, which is where you got it
installed. Now, /usr/local/lib isn't a path where programs look for
shared libraries by default, and that is the problem. You have several

1) configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install

This will use /usr as prefix, and therefore the libraries will got to
/usr/lib, a much more common path for shared libraries. BUT, this not
may be the same paths used by your OS. I'd suggest you check what
configure prefix and options the debian packaging is using, and use
exactly the same ones.

2) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ModemManager --version

That should allow loading shared libraries from /usr/local/lib.

And, last thing, Debian Wheezy is very old and uses MM 0.5.x. In MM
1.x we updated the DBus API and it is effectively incompatible with MM
0.5.x, and that means that programs like NetworkManager won't run out
of the box with MM 1.x. You'll be able to run MM manually, though,
through e.g. mmcli.