MC7455 not working

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Mar 23 10:47:57 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Steven Pease <spease at suitabletech.com> wrote:
> I used Arch Build System to grab the existing package builds of libqmi and
> ModemManager and built 1.14 and 1.5.990 respectively from
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/. I still got similar output using
> kernel 4.4.5.
>
> I then tried installing linux-mainline which on Arch is kernel 4.5. After
> running simple-connect, I noticed "mmcli -b 0" indicated the wwp0s29f7u5i8
> interface and an IPv4 configuration of dhcp with IP address, gateway, etc.

That is perfect now.

> I could not get a dhcp client to work, but manually setting an address with
> "ip addr" and doing a ping through the interface with "ping -i wwp0s29f7u5i8
> 8.8.8.8" did yield results. Is this the correct behavior?

Not all DHCP clients work with the raw-ip interfaces. IIIRC the
openwrt dhcp client does work. But that's why ModemManager explicitly
states the static IP config, if you set that config, you won't need a
DHCP client (if you use NetworkManager as well, all that will be
automatically done for you).

> From googling around I found this:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2015-December/msg00042.html
>
> I guess this means that MC7455 will only work in kernel 4.5 due to better
> raw-ip support?

Yes, yes, forgot to explicitly mention that to you. The first official
release with the new raw-ip support is 4.5, although there are some
previous rc versions which already have it.