Could not get unlock retries soon after SIM unlock

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu May 12 16:17:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-04 at 17:21 +0200, Carlo Lobrano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I observed a problem in getting the number of unlock retries of some
> SIMs soon after the unlock (the SIM in not completely ready I assume)
> and I saw that some plug-ins inserted a little delay in
> modem_after_sim_unlock to cope with it, but that wouldn't have any
> effect in my case.
>
> I could delay directly the AT command I use (+CPIN), but that would
> be
> done every time, not only when the SIM is just unlocked, so I was
> wondering why in mm-iface-modem.c:update_lock_info_context_step
> function the state machine processes load_unlock_retries before
> modem_after_sim_unlock. Is there any known issue in executing
> after_sim_unlock step before load_unlock_retries?

I took a quick look at the code, and I don't think there'd be a problem
with moving UPDATE_LOCK_INFO_CONTEXT_STEP_RETRIES
after UPDATE_LOCK_INFO_CONTEXT_STEP_AFTER_UNLOCK.  If the SIM is still
locked, then AFTER_UNLOCK won't fire (eg, no effect), and if the modem
is unlocked, then it should be ready by the time it's done.

Given the impact I don't think we want to land this for 1.6, but right
after and then potentially release as part of 1.6.2?

Dan