Code Review, Upstream & Certifications

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Sep 15 05:30:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM, matthew stanger <stangerm2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't heard back from anyone on the patch I submitted on 9/6. I'm not
> trying to be pushy, I know everyone here is a volunteer and has their own
> lives :) but I'm really eager to get feedback on the code. Our engineering
> team at Trimble will be using MM and the patches for a new product. With
> that, will will be actively involved with developing and maintaining MM over
> the next few years. I'd like to keep us from forking from the upstream repo
> too far so we can easily keep supporting this awesome project in the future.
>
> In addition to the above we will be getting our repo of MM certified by AT&T
> and Verizon labs - possibly more. We're hoping that basically a repo-hash of
> MM & NetworkManager(possibly) will then be a known certification passing
> point, for major cell carriers, to all. I'm not sure of the value of this to
> the community, as I think many people use MM as consumers, but want to
> mention it as it could possibly be huge monetary savings to some.
>
> With that being said please keep me posted on what Trimble can do to help
> out this project and what we need to do to for our patches to get them
> upstream eventually. Of course no rush on any of this I just want to make
> sure we are staying connected :)

I guess we just need time, this is the only thing missing. It's
usually Dan and me doing reviews, but everyone is invited to do so
really :) I've been busy with my own branches that I developed before
1.6 was released, trying to keep them up to date and reworking after
comments from others, plus of course non-MM related work stuff
(extremely busy this last month...), so sorry for the delay in the
review. It hasn't been forgotten :)

My TODO list from issues in the mailing list currently has (not in a
specific order of priority or anything):
  * rework the udev-less branch after Dan's comments.
  * suggest the branch that allows disabling feature interfaces at
configure time.
  * review and rework u-blox branch after Dan's comments.
  * review your cinterion patch.
  * review the issue with the updated udev tag rules that don't work
properly (e.g. some huawei modems).

Not sure if I'm missing anything else?